Thursday, April 25, 2013

Europe - Travel Day

April 20, 2013

It's here. The moment I've been thinking about for 27 years is here. I'm about to earn my international wings! After the longest work day of my entire life (not really), we hopped into a cab and headed to O'Hare. 




Carrie has United silver status which proved to have many perks. We got to cut the line at the airport to check in and for security. To make it even better, we got access to the United Club! We weren't sure if Ashlee would get in because her ticket wasn't bought with Carrie's premiere status, but they let us all in. What a VIP moment (baller!). The room was huge and offered great people watching. There were people of all ages and walks of life. Food? Oh yes. There was free trail mix, cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, cheese/crackers, tea, coffee and beer/wine. All free! I really wanted a glass of red wine, but I was afraid it would make me sick since I was already a little nervous about flying over a huge ocean. I skipped the wine and grabbed a few packs of Milano cookies and 2 bags of tea for the flight.

UNITED CLUB

I've been on my fair share of flights, but never international. I took my first step on the plane and was pleasantly surprised to find they play classical music while you board. How delightful. Carrie and I sat in a 2 seat section and Ashlee was just a few rows behind us. Carrie thinks the plane is a little old because the tv screens are small. It doesn't matter to me because I think it's pretty cool that the tv tracks your flight journey.  So far I've heard several accents: Australian and British.

I just discovered that my neck pillow is too small...child size. Crap. 

** TAKEOFF! ** 






Dinner on the flight was just okay. Bland pasta with the smallest meatballs I've ever seen. The salad was actually pretty tasty. I ate the whole salad, had a few bites of pasta and an entire roll with melted butter ( because the tray was so hot). Through dinner I watched Silver Linings Playbook. I just saw it a few weeks ago, but it was nice to watch it again.

After the movie, I put on my eye,ask and tried to get some shut eye. I managed to sleep for a few hours, but woke up freezing. The airplane is quite chilly. I tried to fall back asleep, but no matter what way I moved, I was still uncomfortable and cold. My bum started to hurt. Toss-turn. Toss-t Finally I said, screw it...I'm up. I asked the flight attendant for a cup of hot water so I could make a tea. I played a few games on the iPad and watched half an episode of It's Always Sunny.

By now, the sun is starting to come out and people are waking up. The map on my tv screen says we have 1 hour and 8 minutes left in our 'journey'. The flight attendants all say 'cheers'. It makes me feel very international.



** TIME TO PUT AWAY ELECTRONICS...WE'RE LANDING! ** 

No comments:

Post a Comment