Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cardinal Rule

Living in a cozy (read: small) space requires you to become creative with organizing, decorating, etc. One challenge our household struggles with is who gets to watch "their show" after a long day of work. Our condo can't be more than 800 square feet (let's be honest, 800 sqf is seriously pushing it) and we have elected to have one television in our home. 

I would love to have a nice little 22 inch tv in my bedroom so I can watch the Food Network on Sunday mornings or Locked Up (hey, I was a criminal justice major). However, with only having one tv, the hubsters and I have to work together to decide what the both of us want to watch. You can say our communication skills have improved. Go us. 

We usually agree on an old episode of The Office or How I Met Your Mother. But what if the Bears are playing on Sunday? Who gets the tv? I think it's clearly obvious that hubsters would get the tv to watch his precious football game (I watch the Bears too, but I can't do football all freaking day). But guess what? He also wants the computer to keep an eye on his stat tracker for fantasy football. Seriously? 

Here lies the cardinal rule, as designed by wifey: 

Nor hubster or wifey can control both single modes of electronic entertainment (see: tv and laptop) at the same time. 

That's right. It's pick and choose in our household. We have one computer and one tv; one person cannot control both at the same time. To keep peace, the cardinal rule was instituted. I know hubster doesn't care to watch Ina Garden and I certainly have no desire to watch WWE. I am happy to say that it works out beautifully and I highly recommend it to other couples who live in a confined space. 

I suppose you can guess that since I wrote this blog (on our 1 laptop), hubster has the tv. Go Bulls? 


No comments:

Post a Comment