Thursday, November 4, 2010

The $5.00 Sandwich

I take public transit to work everyday. In the morning, I catch a bus outside my condo and take it about 1 mile south and transfer to a train. It's not as bad as it sounds, but it does make for a lot of interesting stories.

For example, earlier this year I was on the train when I witnessed a 20 something year old woman do one of the most disgusting things.

Rule #1 of CTA Etiquette: If you're going to eat on the train, make it a non-messy snack.

I watched a grown woman drop a sandwich FACE DOWN on the floor on the Red Line, pick it back up and eat it. I looked at her with the most troubling look on my face and told her "That was disgusting. Do you know how dirty the floor of the train is?"

What was her reply, you ask? Oh, it was classic. "Um, that was a $5.00 sandwich. I'm not wasting it."

Seriously? I only had one response for her... "That is NOT okay". Of course, you have to imagine me saying it in the most sassy way possible because I wanted to make it clear that she just committed a very serious offense and I will forever be grossed out by her actions.

I think what I found the most troubling was that she looked like someone I would be friends with. Yet she still picked up the sandwich and ate it. Remember, the sandwich was directly on the floor with no paper or wrapping to protect it from germs. That's just not right.


No comments:

Post a Comment